Unlike you, unlike everyone.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Rest Relax Concept Phone Scam

So, I shall interrupt this nice hiatus by putting up a new post.

I got a call during lunch time today (by the way, curse you for that; interrupting my lunch session with David Tennant!) from an indian lady who talked really fast in her indian accent about a shitload of things. Into her 2nd repetition of the same story, I finally got the gist of it.

She's from a veh-ree big travel agency which is celebrating their anniversary (didn't say how many years) and picked a bunch of names at random to be their VIP members. With this VIP card, you can book air tickets at 30 to 40% discount, book hotels at up to 70% discounts and it comes with a free one night stay at Langkawii and Indonesia (you can bring up to 6 friends!) and spa vouchers! This VIP membership can be used for a lifetime and is transferrable to friends!

Slimy much?

In the midst of it, she kept saying "okie, okie, okie" after every sentence and I felt obliged to answer her with "yeah, yeah, yeah".

She finally mentioned the cost involved; how I need to pay a one time fee of $69.90 and I can get the VIP card, the free stay and the spa vouchers!

I asked how she got my number and she said that her company was a big agency with a main database that has the details of everyone who has travelled!

WOW!!! How cool is that?! o.O

It finally occured to me that I should utilise Google, and just as I started googling "phone scam singapore" (which by the way brought up a shitload of hits of course), she told me that her manager would like to congratulate me! So she passes the phone over to someone (at this point I am thinking, okie maybe it won't be an indian and I might just believe it) and the manager goes "Hey-row, my name is Julie (I think that was the name) and I wurd like to congrechulate you for being chosen to be our VIP!"

Oh ew.

So she asks if her staff has told me everything and if I need any more verifications or have anymore questions. She then repeats the company name and tells me that they are located at 45 Genting Lane and blah blah blah...

I googled "45 genting lane phone scam" and finally got the name of the company; "Rest Relax Concept Ptd Ltd". Imagine trying to figure that out with that horrible indian accent.

Confirming that it was a scam, I laughed and told the 'manager', "Sorry I'm not interested, and I'm busy, okay bye!" and hung up.

Apparently this has been around for ages because the first few references to this company mentioned that it was only 3 months old and the licence date stated was in march of 2008. Strange how it's still around at the moment. Maybe the scam amount is so little that people don't bother reporting? Hmmm...

So anyway and either ways, better becareful of such scams. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. :)

Labels: , , ,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


 

Natalie

Age: 21

Likes: Red, Dogs, Hamsters, Humour, The Ocean, The Night, Sunsets, Cloudy days, Big long hugs, Cuddles in bed, Strawberries, Mint ice cream, Reading, Literature, Movies, Singing, Cute things, Sensitivity, Kindness.

Dislikes: Lizards, Earthworms, Daytime, Vegetables, Running, Liars, Vulgarities, Procrastinators, Sad movies, Robots, Dictators, Being called Fat, Being Fat, Humidity, Tactlessness, Violence.

Advertisements



Wish List

- Canon 970i
- LG FB162 DVD Micro Audio
- DBSK's Concert Ticket
- Shinhwa - 9th Album
- Big Bang - Remember Hehehe

Tagboard






Jukebox

Fiesty November

Others



Credits

"Crimson Mosiac" Version 1.01 is designed by Princess Sabrina.


The ingredients used to put it all together includes, PHP, CSS, XHTML, Adobe & Macromedia, Creativity, and not forgetting, Inspiration.

* Best viewed at 1024 x 768.
Powered by Blogger
Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]